Gemma Brooks, of Cygnet Law
Cygnet Law is demonstrating its support for the wider community by providing legal clinics for clients of Eva, the only Women’s Aid organisation in Redcar and Cleveland.
Associate solicitor, Gemma Brooks, who is a highly regarded domestic violence legal practitioner, is to hold a pro bono legal surgery at Eva once a fortnight starting on Monday November 17.
The free advice sessions will range from domestic violence to contact and separation issues or other family legal matters on which Eva clients require information.
The charity, which has a drop-in centre based at EVA House, 86 High Street, Redcar, is dedicated to improving the lives of women and children affected by domestic violence and sexual abuse.
It also has two supported living schemes as part of a project aimed at single young women, aged 16-24, who have been affected by sexual and domestic violence.
Gemma Brooks said: “Cygnet is proud to support a charity that provides vital support to help women and children escape and survive abuse.”
“Eva has a dedicated team whose expertise, energy, commitment and enthusiasm is outstanding and I am looking forward to working closely with them to help make a difference to the lives of those fleeing abusive households.”
Richinda Taylor, Chief Executive of Eva, said: “We are very grateful to Cygnet Law. The availability of legal advice will be invaluable to the women who turn to us for help at a traumatic time in their lives. The free clinics will form a crucial part of the support we are able to offer women and children, who have suffered abuse, to help turn their lives around and make a fresh start.”
Eva provides the following services:
- two supported houses where women fleeing domestic or sexual, violence and abuse can be accommodated and fully supported
- a range of programmes delivered by experienced and skilled staff
- drop in facility at our High Street premises
- a range of support packages tailor made to the service user needs
- Independent Sexual Violence Advocate (ISVA)
- Independent Domestic Violence Advocate (IDVA)
- children’s counselling
- skilled and experienced Support Workers including a Families Worker
- volunteering opportunities
- accredited training programmes
- counselling for female adult victims
- support groups and service user groups
- IAG service (Information, Advice and Guidance)
Gemma, who joined Cygnet two years ago, is a member of Resolution First for Family Law and recently obtained membership of the Law Society Family Law Advanced Panel with a speciality in cases involving domestic violence and in Children Act proceedings.
The first surgery will be on Monday November 17 from 10am until 4pm and on alternate Mondays at EVA House, 86 High Street, Redcar.