How can we help you today?

Pick a topic:

Divorce & Separation
Court of Protection
Social Services / Child Protection
Domestic Violence
Wills & Probate


Q. Where are you based?

A. Our main office is located in Redcar although our solicitors and barristers work for clients across East Cleveland and Middlesbrough.

To find out how we can help you, please contact us.

Q. What types of cases do you handle?

A. We are family law and property law specialists; our legal team can provide you with expert advice on matters including:
●Court of Protection
●Wills & Probate
●Divorce and Separation
●Children Law

Q. How long have you been in business?

A. We were originally founded in 2001 by Peter Medd

Q. Do I need to visit you at one of your offices?

A. No. We’re more than happy to come to you or arrange a meeting at a mutually convenient location. We can also contact you via digital means or on the phone.

To book an initial consultation to discuss your requirements, with no obligation, contact us online or give us a call and we’ll get back to you.

Q. Can you take over from my current solicitors?

A. Yes of course, please contact us so we can explain how to go about this.

Q. How long will it take?

A. Depending on the service you have chosen with us will ultimately vary the time it takes from process to process. We look at individual circumstances too, which almost will vary the time it takes to carry out our services. Our legal teams will guide you through timescales.

Q. How much are your services?

A. Depending on the service you use with us and your individual circumstances, our service prices will differ. We will inform you of our fees in your initial consultation with us.


Q. How do contact arrangements work?

A. There are no typical arrangements with contact. Individual circumstances vary how contact arrangements are made, however, nowadays it’s common for children to spend some time with each parent.

Q. If me and partner have separated, do we need your services to come to an agreement about our children?

A. No. If you and your partner can come to an informal agreement about the handling of your children, no legal arrangements need to be made. However, if agreements can’t be met informally, you may need our legal services for solving such issues.

Divorce & Separation

Q. How long can divorce take?

A. The divorce process can usually take between 4 and 6 months to carry out, though sometimes longer if financial arrangements are taking longer to conclude.

Q. How does divorce work?

A. The divorce process is carried out with various applications to the court. You won’t have to attend court unless either person asks for a judge for a court order, in which case you will be asked to attend court.


Q. How long does conveyancing take?

A. Typically, conveyancing can take up to 16 weeks to complete. However, it can take longer or a shorter amount of time depending on individual circumstances.

Q. When do I know when I own the property I’m purchasing?

A. There are two keys parts to finalising a conveyancing transaction, exchange and completion.

Once exchange of contracts have taken place the transaction is legally binding and the buyer commits their deposit to the transaction. At this point, a completion date is legally set.

On the day of completion the balance monies are sent to the relevant party and once receive, completion takes place. At this point, legal ownership is transferred from the seller to the buyer.

Q. What is the current rate of stamp duty?

A. If you need to calculate stamp duty, follow this link: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/calculate-stamp-duty-land-tax/#/intro

Court of Protection

Q. What does the Court of Protection do?

A. The Court of Protection makes decisions on finance or welfare on behalf of a person who doesn’t possess the mental capacity to do so themselves.

Q. If someone lacks mental capacity, who can make decisions for them?

A. Lasting Power of Attorney ensures someone is appointed to manage decision making on behalf of someone who is going to lose their mental capacity. If someone needs support after they have lost mental capacity, someone can apply to become a Court of Protection Deputy.

Domestic Violence

Q. What are the types of domestic abuse?

A. Physical, emotional or psychological, sexual and financial abuse.

Q. Can you help me urgently?

A. We can provide urgent support to you or your children if you’re experiencing abuse.

Q. How can I tell if someone I know is a victim of domestic violence?

A. The most obvious signs to look out for include frequent injuries such as bruises or broken bones. In terms of emotional abuse, this can be anything including harassment, possessiveness or stalking behaviour. One of the larger red flags is isolation, whereby someone is cut off from their friends or family.

Wills & Probate

Q. What is Estate?

A. Estate is defined as things including: property, bank accounts, assets, household contents or investments.

Q. What does an executor do?

A. An executor is appointed by someone and is responsible for carrying out a deceased person’s Will.

Q. Do I need a Will if I’m a parent?

A. If you’re a parent it’s a good idea to have a Will in place, as this means less financial and emotional stress on your children.

Didn't find an answer to your question?

Get in touch with us today, please don't hesitate if you have any queriries about about services. Give our team a call or leave a message and one of the team will be in touch with you.


Latest News from Cygnet Law